APPLYING FOR JOB OPPORTUNITIES
I’ve found a job I’m interested in. How do I apply?
To apply for current opportunities at Selkirk College, you must first create a candidate profile
How do I create a candidate profile?
- Head to the Selkirk Careers webpage: https://careers.selkirk.ca
- Click on “Create an Account” at the top right of page
- Fill in all mandatory fields, marked with a red asterisk *
- Click “Save”
How do I apply for a specific position?
- Click on “Job Postings” to search for current opportunities:
- View current opportunities by scrolling through the list manually, or by using the “Search” function at the top of the Job Posting section.
- Opportunities can be searched by categories, campus, or keyword
- View opportunities and apply by clicking on “Learn More” for that posting
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select “Apply for this job”
How do I apply using the Application Form option?
- Fill in all the mandatory sections (Note: All areas marked * are mandatory)
- Click “Save & Submit” to move to the next section
- Click on any number (1-7) at the top of the form to go back to that section
- Click the icon next to a question if you need assistance
- The “Employment History” section allows you to add entries by clicking the green plus sign
- To delete an entry, click X by the position title
- To submit your application, click the “Save & Submit” button in section 7.
- NOTE: you cannot go back and change any information after section 7.
- To change your application, you must withdraw your submitted application and reapply (before the opportunity closes).
How do I withdraw an application?
- There are two ways to withdraw from an opportunity:
- Click “My Account”, “Withdraw Application” and select the job you wish to withdraw from in the drop down.
- Click "My Account”, “Application History” and “Click here if you wish to withdraw an application” or click on the X for that specified job.
Can two people use the same e-mail address to apply?
No - the system requires an email address to send your password to, so candidate profiles cannot have duplicate email accounts.
How do I change my e-mail address (or phone number, address, etc.)?
To change your email address, choose “Access Details” and update your email address
When do I need to submit my application to a job opportunity?
Current opportunities close at 11:59PM PST on the closing date noted on the opportunity. Applicants must complete their entire application before this time.
I have missed the deadline for a position. Can I still apply?
Depending on the stage of the competition process, you may still be able to apply. Contact email@example.com with the opportunity reference number, as well as any relevant documents you want attached to your application.
Note: Your application will be uploaded and processed as a "Late Applicant”.
I made an error in my submission and it’s past the closing date, what should I do?
Depending on the stage of the competition, you may be able to update your documents. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the opportunity reference number and requested changes.
Note: Any changes to an application after the closing date will cause the application to be processed as a “Late Application”.
I made an error in my submission, can I go back in and fix it? What should I do?
- If you have made an error you will need to withdraw the application and resubmit.
- To withdraw please click “Candidate Menu”, “My Applications” and “Click here if you wish to withdraw an application”.
What if I don’t apply online?
All applications must be received online.
What if I don't have a computer to apply online?
If you do not have access to a computer, there are computers at the Selkirk Campus libraries available for community use.
What can I do to improve my chances of finding employment with Selkirk?
- Sign up for job alerts in the online career portal when you create your Candidate Profile. This way you will receive an email notification when a new opportunity has become available.
- Have an updated resume and cover letter ready to go.
- Make sure your references are up-to-date and available to be used. Selkirk requires three references from each applicant, one must be from a supervisor.
I am not interested in any of the current opportunities. Can I leave my resume on file for any future opportunities that match my qualifications?
Selkirk does not accept or hold resumes for future opportunities. If you are interested in receiving job opportunity notifications please sign up for job alert on our careers webpage, under “My Account”.
Do applicants have to go through skill testing?
Depending on the required qualifications of the position, typing, keyboarding and testing related to level of proficiency in Excel, Word, etc. may be required.
I have a disability. Will Selkirk accommodate me?
Selkirk is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. We want to ensure that all participants are able to engage fully in interviews and other activities that are part of the process. If you have any accommodation requests, please email email@example.com . All requests for accommodation will be treated confidentially.
Who has access to my personal information?
- Selkirk collects your personal information in any application in order to assess your qualifications and suitability as a potential employee of Selkirk. Your information will be reviewed by members of the Human Resource staff as well as any members of the Hiring Committee for the specific competition you have applied for. Members of the Hiring Committee will have limited access to your personal information. Selkirk will not disclose this information to third parties unless it is legally required to do so.
- Selkirk respects your right to privacy and takes its responsibilities regarding the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information seriously. Selkirk is subject to the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and has made appropriate security arrangements to protect the personal information in its care against such risks as unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure and disposal.
How long does the selection process generally take?
The selection process can take several weeks depending on the nature of the position and the number of candidates in the selection pool.
Can I apply for more than one job at a time?
Yes, absolutely. You can apply for as many opportunities that you feel qualified for. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
How do I update a specific job application?
An application cannot be updated once submitted. If you need to make changes to your application you will need to withdraw the application and resubmit. Please review "I made an error in my submission, can I go back in and fix it? What should I do?" and "How do I apply using the Application Form Option?" in this section.
I don’t quite meet the requirements for a position, can I still apply?
Yes, of course! Selkirk encourages applicants to apply to opportunities they don’t quite qualify for but still hold a number of the other qualifications listed in the opportunity.
What if I am a temporary or casual employee, how do I apply with internal status?
Please access the internal opportunities by logging into MySelkirk.
What operating system and browser should I use when searching and applying for positions on the Selkirk Careers portal?
While the Candidate Portal is accessible with all web browsers and mobile platforms, the portal works best in Google Chrome.
I click on the "Careers at Selkirk" page but it doesn’t work, or the page does not appear. What should I do?
- If you are having trouble accessing the Candidate Portal:
- Try pressing "CTRL+F5" to refresh your browser.
- Check your browser; the portal works best in Google Chrome.
- If you continue to have issues, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
I forgot my Selkirk Careers portal password, what should I do?
- You can reset your password by using the “Password Reminder” button on the login page and entering the email address associated with your account. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password.
- If you are still having any difficulties logging in, please contact email@example.com and we can assign you a temporary password.