Need More Help?
For IT support, visit the IT Service Centre or dial 55255 from a College phone.
- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
|Table of Contents|
What are Windows updates?
Selkirk College computers with the Windows Operating System are managed devices and will regularly receive updates for feature enhancements and to protect against cyberattacks via Software Center.
All Selkirk College computers will receive weekly scheduled Windows updates and will require a reboot on Wednesdays at 2:00 AM PST.
Note - Please save your open documents and work on a daily basis to reduce the risk of lost work due to a power outage or cyberattack event.
Personal computers should be regularly updated to reduce the risk of cyberattacks. Instructions on updating your personal devices are below.
How can I identify what version of Windows I am using?
Select the Start button and then select Settings.
In Settings, select System, then select About.
- You'll note the Windows version under 'Version' e.g. 1703 (Oldest), 1903, 1909 and 20H2 (Newest)
Do I have to update?
Yes, Selkirk College computers will automatically be updated on a regular basis and IT Services recommends to regularly update your personal devices as well.
If a Windows version release has reached its End Date then the managed device becomes vulnerable to cyberattacks that even a good Anti-Virus product will not protect against.
IT Services have listed the most recent Windows 10 release below including their support end date.
Note - IF your computer is on anything except Windows 10 version 1909 or 20H2 as of December 8th 2020, it is critical that you update your system immediately.
Updating your Selkirk College computer (On campus)
- Log in to your computer using your Selkirk College network account (e.g. JDoe).
- Connect to your Selkirk College VPN if working remotely.
- Access Software Centre.
- Select the Updates tab on the left-hand side.
- Select Install All in the top right corner.
Note - If no updates are available in Software Centre then your Selkirk College computer is up-to-date.
6. Should an update require a reboot, you will be prompted to schedule the reboot at a more appropriate time.
7. Once the update is completed a prompt for a reboot will be displayed with countdown timer.
Updating your Selkirk College computer (At home / Remote)
Please follow the directions from Updating your personal computer and select Check online for updates from Microsoft Updates.
Updating your personal computer
- Select the Start (Windows) button from the bottom-left corner.
- Type in Update in the search bar.
- Select the Check for updates.
- Choose Windows Update tab in the sidebar (Circular arrows).
5. Select Check for updates. If there is an available update, it will begin downloading automatically.